Every skin type is beautiful, but unfortunately it can be tough to find a foundation that can suit your skin tone exactly.
Thankfully, makeup companies are getting better each year. As someone who’s been in the beauty game for a long time, this has not always been the case, and I am always super pleased to see foundations that come in a full spectrum of shades, from very light to very dark, and everything in between. I got a question from a reader recently that inspired this post:
I have very pale skin, and I’m looking for foundations that suit me. I find it really hard to find good foundations for my pale skin; they are normally too dark for me. Any suggestions?
I’ve actually got a lot of suggestions! I have a ton of experience shopping for really light foundation colors as my BFF is very fair and I’ve gone makeup shopping with her lots of times… and I mean lots. We tried everything! On one particular shopping trip, we swatched colors on her arms, my arms, tissue paper, you name it.
So to the reader who wrote in, and to my other gorgeous pale skinned readers, I’ve searched around and found some that I think would be great; and as I found out, the keyword to look for in foundation colors is “Ivory”:
Best Drugstore Foundations for Pale Skin
- Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation “51 Vanille Clair”. Buy it internationally at Amazon.com
- L’Oreal Infallible Foundation “015 Porcelain”. Quite hard to find these days but you can buy it internationally from Amazon.com and Boots.
- L’Oreal True Match Liquid Foundation “Light Ivory”. Buy it at ULTA (USA) Drugstore.com (USA) and internationally at Amazon.com.
- Maybelline EverFresh Makeup “Ivory”. Quite hard to find but still available in Europe. Buy it internationally at Amazon.com.
- Mary Kay Medium Coverage Foundation “Ivory 105″. Buy internationally at Amazon.com.
- Max Factor Lasting Performance “Fair 100″. Buy internationally at Amazon.com, Boots or Superdrug (UK)
- Maybelline Pure Makeup “Porcelain Ivory”. Buy it internationally at Amazon.com.
- Revlon Colorstay Makeup “110 Ivory”. Buy it at Drugstore (USA) Superdrug (UK) and internationally at Amazon.com and Boots.
Best High End / Department Store Foundations for Pale Skin
- Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturizing Foundation “Warm Ivory #1″. Buy it internationally at Nordstrom, House of Fraser and Amazon.com
- Clinique Superbalanced Makeup “Ivory 1″. Buy it at these stores that ship everywhere: Amazon.com, Boots, Macys and John Lewis.
- Burberry Sheer Foundation “Trench No. 01″. Buy internationally at Nordstrom and John Lewis
- Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV Foundation “2 Ivory”. Buy it internationally at Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Amazon.com.
- Laura Mercier Oil Free Supreme Foundation “Porcelain Ivory”. Buy at Sephora (USA) or internationally at Amazon.com.
- Chanel Vitalumiere Fluid “20 Clair/Cameo”. Buy it at Nordstrom and Boots.
- Lancome Renergie Lift Makeup “Lifting Porcelain”. Buy at Sephora (USA), ULTA (USA) and internationally at Nordstrom and Macys.
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 “NC15″ and “NW15″. Buy internationally at Amazon.com, Macys and Debendams.
- Make Up Forever HD Foundation “115 Ivory”. Buy at Sephora (USA) or internationally at Amazon.com.
- Tom Ford Traceless Foundation “Alabaster 01″. Buy at Bergdorf Goodman (USA), Selfridges (UK) or internationally at Amazon.com, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom and House of Fraser.
To consider: Custom Blend Foundations
At a last resort (or if you really wanna go the extra mile!) there are custom foundations available, although it could be a bit hard to find and work with. There are 2 other options if you are looking for a more custom made, speciality foundation for pale skin. The first is Prescriptions Custom Blend, an online video service where they will custom make your perfect foundation as well as powder.
The next option is a DIY option, where you can make your own custom blend liquid foundation with Illamasqua, a UK makeup brand whose website ships all over the world. Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation in 01 is a pure white liquid, made to lighten their foundations. Pick one of the foundations (or any foundation from any brand, really) closest to your skin color and then add in a drop of their 01 white foundation and mix until you get your perfect shade.
Over to you…
I hope some of my suggestions will be the right fit for you. If you have any other recommendations for foundations for pale skin, please let me know on Twitter and I will update the list. Also, please share this post with anyone you know who may be struggling to find a foundation fair enough for their skintone.